BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, July 16, 2012

Diastasis Recti=Mommy Tummy of DOOOM!

Everyone, My mommy tummy is coming out. I have two beautiful daughters. My pregnancies were awesome, but they came with a mommy tummy of DOOM. I have Diastasis Recti. Diastasis Recti is separation of the abdominal muscles. My muscles separated during my first pregnancy. I gained around 20 lbs. and started showing around 3 months pregnant. My pregnancy was awesome. However, I noticed my belly button popped out around 4 months. I thought that was odd, but didn't allow myself to worry. Later, I found out it was a hernia. Not uncommon for a petite person. My beautiful daughter was born and weighed 8lbs 2oz. Well, no wonder...She was huge! I lost most of the pregnancy weight, except the last 5lbs. It took me a few months to lose the weight, but I still looked pregnant. 6 months, 9 months, 12 months rolled around and people would come up to me and asked "How far along are you?" I had one come up to me a patted my tummy. I was shocked! I held my head up high and carried on. The only issue I had was something was bulging out when I would do anything related to sit-ups. I thought my gut was coming out of me. I saw a few doctors and they thought it might be a hernia. I was told at the time not to do anything about it unless it gets worse. So, I have to avoid sit-ups, coughing (hard), and weird sexual positions :). Otherwise, it bulges out and is VERY VERY Painful. Again, I carried on with life. A few years later, I was pregnant again! This pregnancy wasn't as easy. I had morning sickness like no other. Every time I hugged the porcelain god, I would hold my insides :/. It sucked, but I was afraid my insides were going to explode. Very scary! My beautiful daughter was born and weighed 7lbs. I lost the pregnancy weight right away due to breastfeeding. It only took me 6 weeks and I was back into my normal clothes. Just recently, I decided to see a general surgeon. He confirmed that I have Diastasis Recti. I spoke to the G.S. about what I was experiencing and he didn't think I could have a hernia near my diaphragm. I told him that it bulges out when I give my abs a workout, cough, sneeze, laugh, etc. So, he ordered a CT scan. The CT scan showed only an umbilical hernia. So, I must have separated all the way up? HOLY COW! The G.S. said most likely I was born with weak abdominal muscles. Over time, they weakened by improper exercises,throwing up, pregnancies, etc. He also commented that I have more than 2 finger gap. Most people have a 1-2 finger gap, which is completely normal. Anything more than that needs attention. I did a self check and I can stick 4 fingers in my stomach. That really sucks!!!


Here is what my Diastasis Recti looks like with clothes on.



Here is what my D.R. actually looks like.




Here is my tummy when I am lying on my back.



Checking for D.R...partial sit-up position. You can clearly see the separation and organs (?)



 D.R. check...You can see that I can easily fit 4 fingers.


Here is where I stand. A quick fix would be a tummy tuck. I love the idea of a tummy tuck. Perfect abs...Sigh! Sound inviting, but it also comes with painful recovery and scaring. I can't do any lifting for a few months. Plus, hubby can't take the time off to help. It seems that a tummy tuck is the answer, but nothing is 100% curable. Not only that, it is considered cosmetic. The G.S should be able to fix my hernia, but not D.R. The Plastic Surgeon performs cosmetic surgery. Since I have a hernia, the plastic surgeon may be able to kill two birds with one stone...right it off or tell insurance that I need the surgery. If my D.R. is not corrected, it causes major back pain. Most people with this issue have lower back pain. If I choose not to have a tummy tuck, my other option is pelvic floor exercises while wearing a binding belt for a few months. The exercises closes the gap and strengthens my abdominal muscles. That being said, I will have more support in my lower back. Unfortunately, it's a temporary fix. I can totally screw things up lifting wrong and re-open my gap....start all over. They don't tell you these things during pregnancy or postpartum. Moms usually start exercising when they are clear or recovered. Doing the wrong exercises CAN (or may not) result in Diastasis Rectis or abdominal separation. It all depends on the way your body is designed. If one has weak abdominal muscles (like me), this is what happens...Diastasis Recti...MOMMY TUMMY OF DOOMMMMM!!!

I hope I was able to inform and not scare you all. Please consult your doctor before you do anything. For more info., please check out the following links.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diastasis_recti

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKukYpSnJCc


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6SfiH2-TEQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=786UlOm9Bso


21 comments:

Darien said...

I had honestly never heard of this before, thank you so much for sharing! That must be incredibly frustrating to have to deal with but you really do look beautiful. I love the photos of your kiddos!

Stephanie said...

Thanks Darien! It is very frustrating! I am glad there's more info about this. 5 years ago, there wasn't. I have always heard "I've done a million sit-ups, but I still have a mommy tummy." Now, there is a name for it. I can live with a mommy tummy, but not the back pain. Being a mommy is beautiful and rewarding. However, it takes a toll on your body.

DrRuth said...

Actualy the measurement of number of fingers is taken width ways not lengthways - turn your fingers so they are lined up parallel to your waist. I have a Real 4 finger DR. Or least I had until I did the exercises. I wouldn't worry so much about the "it can come back". The exercises train you in a whole new way to use your body. That's unlikely to go away. I guess it could come back if you had another pregnancy.

Stephanie said...

Yes, I can fit the same amount of fingers width ways. I turned them b/c I wasn't able to take a clear picture doing it the other way lol :). The G.S. wants me to lean towards surgery or so it seems when I saw him last. I am not sure if surgery is the right answer for me. I need to strengthen my muscles the correct way with out my "bulge" sticking out :(.

DrRuth said...

Well of course a surgeon would lean towards surgery. have you seen a PT who specializes in girl stuff? I recommended mine on the AM thread..

Stephanie said...

The Y offers P.T. 3 session for $80. It sounds like a lot, but I am willing to pay. There's been some request for postpartum workout and they are looking into adding it to the program. Finally!

MorganM said...

Hi! I was googling D.R. to see other stories. I have just figured out that is what I have. I am dying to know if you went with the surgery or not? I would really appreciate any info on which way you went and how you felt about that option. Thank you!

Stephanie said...

Morgan, thank you for your comment. Sorry, it took me a while to respond. I was on vaca. I hope you check back to read my comment. I didn't have a tummy tuck. I felt like it wasn't for me at the time. I spoke to two surgeons and both said "they were sitting on the fence with me". Meaning, I have enough skin to do the surgery, but I may not have a flat tummy after surgery. My body is not built that way. So, exercise it is. I did the research on my own. I found an abdominal belt that was made for Diastasis Recti. I wore the belt 24/7 for 16ish weeks. I also did abdominal contraction exercises as well. It's totally worth it. I had a 4 finger gap at the beginning of the program. At the end, it was a 1-2 finger gap. Check out julietupler.com about this program. After the program, I did (still doing as well)lite pilates. I have to keep it up for the rest of my life.

Stephanie said...

Also, the abdominal binder with video was like $80. A tummy tuck surgery cost $7200 out of pocket. It's still an option b/c I am still having issues. However, I can live with it. Not an issue anymore. No more back pain for me :). Exercise is really important. The wrong exercise can really screw you up. Just my opinion though.

Anonymous said...

hello. where did you find an abdominal binder and video for $80!!?? I have a 4 finger separation and I am dying to find a solution other than surgery.

Stephanie said...

Hi there! Thank you for reading my blog. I researched Diastasis Recti and what my options were. I decided to go with Julie Tuppler Abdominal Rehab. http://www.diastasisrehab.com/

No, I do not work for Julie Tuppler :). It was very helpful. You don't have to go with her abdominal binder, but I highly recommend the exercise. You can even go to a medical supply store. My gap in my stomach was huge. So, I needed something that was strong. HTH! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask :).

Cole said...

I have been reading your blog and I am so happy to find some helpful info about DR. I could never afford a tummy tuck and just didn't know where to start to fix my tummy. I have two girls as well and have had two c sections. I kinda lost hope. So.... My question is, if bought one from a medical store what types of exercises would I do? Thank you:)

Stephanie said...

Cole, I am happy to help. If your gap is 1-2 finger gap, the doctors will tell you no surgery at the time. A 3 finger gap or more, you run into problems. My suggestion is no sit ups/crunches. They pull your muscles apart. I have a board on pinterest for DR and pelvic floor exercises. http://www.pinterest.com/blueeyz001/fitness-for-diastasis-recti-and-pelvic-floor-disfu/

Stephanie said...

Cole, http://www.pinterest.com/pin/208291551489155630/

The 1 and 2 (exercises)I did the first two weeks. Exercise 3, I tagged on a week later.

Danielle said...

I also suffer from D.R. :( I'm currently going the surgery route because I didn't really feel like there was any other option. I was kind of skeptical about Julie Tulper's Technique, and honestly not sure if I could keep up the commitment to her exercises. I'm not thrilled about being cut open again after 3 c-sections, but maybe I will have to look at her techniques again. You can read more about my D.R. story on my blog: http://dmbridal.com/2014/03/06/the-cost-of-being-a-woman/ - Danielle

Lisa said...

I stumbled on your post while trying to find if there are any good clothes for hiding an diastis. Mine has me depressed. I used the Tupler method successfully after 2 babies. But then developed prolapse after my last baby (which the binder/wrap made worse). Doing the Tupler technique is a big NO if you have prolapse. Just wish I could find a dress for church that I don't look pregnant in ...

Stephanie said...

Danielle,

Thank you for reading. I am with you on surgery. I don't like the idea of being cut open and recovery. Plus, what if it doesn't work? I saw a general surgeon and plastics. They both were sitting on the fence with me b/c my 4 finger gap closed to a 2 finger gap. So, it's not worth trying to fix it. I was told that they repair DR the same way as a hernia. I am also out of alignment b/c of my weak core. I think my obliques and transverse muscles are overly stretched and hard to strengthen.

Stephanie said...

L,

Thank you for reading my blog. It's hard finding clothes to cover DR. The only thing as helped is spanxs. I also have a tight pelvic floor due to pressure from the abdominal belt. I think my pelvic floor was weak at the beginning, but the JT abdominal belt made it worse. It's not horrible, but painful to sit down at times.

Unknown said...

Hi Stephanie how is it 2 years on? Thx for writing about your experience.. karen ( Ireland )

Unknown said...

Hi Stephanie how is it 2 years on? Thx for writing about your experience.. karen ( Ireland )

Stephanie said...

Hi Karen! Thanks for reading my blog. I am still dealing with Diastasis Recti. I am still sitting on a 2 finger gap. I have seen 2 general surgeons and 2 plastics. I've also seen a Gastroenterologist b/c I have a bulge that comes and goes. It does act like a hernia, but it's not. My umbilical hernia has gone from 5mm to 7mm. It's ready to operate. My Diastasis can be operated on. However, it won't be covered on insurance. I have all these medical issues, but it's still not covered. I am on a hunt for the right surgeon that can code it different. Maybe just repair what needs to be fixed with out having plastics involved. My diastasis is quite deep, but fascia is still intact which is good. I am also dealing with Adult Scoliosis which could be the culprit of DR. I had it growing up, but no one told me it could worsen if not addressed. It's genetic on my end. If I continue exercising, I should be able to maintain my DR. It can re open which sucks. I just want to feel safe in my own body. Until then, I educate myself and anyone that asks "When are you due?". How are you? Do you have Diastasis? I need to update my blog with photos :).